- TOEFL is the Test of English as a Foreign Language conducted by Educational Testing Service (ETS).
- It measures the ability of non-native English speakers to communicate in English in an academic setting.
- It is an admission requirement for non-native English speakers at many English-Speaking colleges and universities.
- IBT TOEFL test is recognized by more than 8500 colleges and universities in more than 130 countries including Australia, the UK and the United States.
- IBT TOEFL score is valid for 2 years.
Test Format & Structure
Test takers have up to 4 hours to complete the TOEFL iBT test. The test has 4 sections:
- Reading; measures the ability to understand academic reading material written in English.
- Listening; measures the ability to understand spoken English as it is used in colleges and universities.
- Speaking; measures the ability to speak English in an academic context.
- Writing; measures the ability to write in English in a way that is appropriate for college and university course work.
The test is delivered via the Internet at secure, ETS-approved test centers. It emphasizes integrated skills and helps confirm that you are ready to communicate your ideas about what you will read and listen to in your academic courses. Integrated tasks require you to combine more than one skill. You’ll be asked to: Read, listen, and then speak in response to a question. Listen and then speak in response to a question. Read, listen, and then write in response to a question.
Each section of the test has a time limit. If you finish a section early, you can go on to the next section, but you cannot go back to a section you have already completed or for which time has been called. However, in the Reading section you can go back within the section during the time allotted for it. There is a mandatory 10-minute break midway through the testing session.
|Reading||60-80 minutes||3–5 passages, 12–14 questions each||Read 3 or 4 passages from academic texts and answer questions.|
|Listening||60-90 minutes||34-51 questions||Listen to lectures, classroom discussions and conversations, then answer questions.|
|Speaking||20 minutes||6 tasks||Express an opinion on a familiar topic; speak based on reading and listening tasks.|
|Writing||50 minutes||2 tasks||Write essay responses based on reading and listening tasks; support an opinion in writing.|
Test Score & Score Calculations
On the iBT TOEFL test you will receive four scaled section scores and a total score:
- Reading Section (Score of: 0–30)
- Listening Section (Score of: 0–30)
- Speaking Section (Score of: 0–30)
- Writing Section (Score of: 0–30)
- Total Score (0–120)
ETS uses both human raters and automated scoring methods to offer a complete and accurate picture of a test taker's ability. While automated scoring models have advantages, they do not measure the effectiveness of the language response and the appropriateness of its content. Human raters are needed to attend to a wider variety of features, such as the quality of ideas and content as well as form.
The iBT TOEFL test uses automated scoring to complement human scoring for the two tasks in the Writing section. Combining human judgment for content and meaning, and automated scoring for linguistic features, ensures consistent, quality scores.
The total test duration is around 3 hours and 20 minutes for all four sections.
- Listening: 60-90 minutes
- Reading: 60-80 minutes
- Writing: 50 minutes
- Speaking: 20 minutes
The official iBT TOEFL test fee is 180 USD.
Official Test Centers
You can take an official iBT TOEFL test at the following places:
- Science and Technology University Ulaanbaatar city, Sukhbaatar district, 8th khoroo, Science and Technology University main building. Tel: + (976-11) 324590
- “E-Pen” education information technology center Ulaanbaatar city, UN street, Internet center. Tel: + (976-11) 327438
- “STUDY” learning center Ulaanbaatar city, Sukhbaatar district, Seoul street. Tel: + (976) 99115345
- “SANTIS” education center Ulaanbaatar city, Sukhbaatar district, 8th khoroo, Student street-16. Tel: + (976-11) 318313
- “Zokhist Ulzii” center Ulaanbaatar city, Sukhbaatar district, University of Education of Mongolia, 2nd floor. Tel: + (976) 99170250