SECTION 1:TESTING ENGLISH STRUCTURE
Choose one option – (a), (b), (c), or (d) – that correctly completes sentence, then mark appropriate blank. Then, on your answer sheet, find the number of the question and fill in the space that corresponds to the letter of the answer you have chosen.
1. Teresa ________ Russian this term.
2. Clive was driving into town when he ________ out of petrol.
3. I don't enjoy computer games now, but I ________ like them when I was younger.
4. We hoped George at 7.30 but he ________ yet.
5. Film started ________ so you've missed quite lot.
6. I keep my grammar notes in a ________ folder.
7. When ________ the picnic, they went for a swim in the lake.
8. ________ my sister three times today but her number's always engaged.
9. ________ to the dentist after college so I can't play squash with you.
10. I'll write to you as soon as ________ my exam results.
11. The builders ________ the house by next month.
12. The day before the holiday, the men worked ________ than usual.
13. Doesn't your brother ________ discos?
14. The first thing they did when they met after twenty years was to hug ________.
15. Since ________ school, Sheila has had several interesting jobs.
16. My manager says we ________ take more than ten minutes for our break and, if we do, he'll make us work extra hours.
17. I ran all the way to station but when I got there I realised that ________ because trains were delayed.
18. ________ to take a spare T-shirt as you'll probably get really hot playing tennis.
19. You look really busy. ________ I put the shopping away for you?
20. When I got home I looked at the bill and realised the restaurant ________ added it up wrong so I'd paid too much.
21. That bicycle ________ belong to Judy = it's much too big for her.
22. While my car ________ I wandered round the city centre.
23. Katie ________ her hair cut short when she left school.
24. Gareth ________ he was never going to lend Robert anything again.
25. I asked Ruth where ________ her coat.
26. I always avoid ________ on the bus because it makes me feel ill.
27. My grandfather remembers ________ into this house when he was a very small boy.
28. If you don't know a word, you can look ________ in your dictionary.
29. I've never really got ________ my neighbor, probably because we're so different.
30. I'll book seats for the concert, if there ________ any good ones available.
31. Liam would have saved a lot of money, if he ________ to my advice.
32. We'll go for a walk ________ it's foggy – I hate walking in the fog.
33. I wish I ________ a good memory – it would make learning English much easier.
34. Alfred wears an old coat ________ his suit when he walks to work.
35. We're having a party ________ the last day of term.
36. As we can't agree ________ this subject, we won't discuss it again.
37. I enjoyed ________ last week.
38. This is the room in ________ the famous poet died.
39. I left the cinema ________ I had a headache and the film was very noisy.
40. ________ Martin could easily afford to go on holiday, he never does.
SECTION 2: TESTING READING SKILL
Each one is followed by a number of questions about it. You are to choose the one best answer, (a), (b), (c), or (d), to each question. Then, on your answer sheet, find the number of the question and fill in the space that corresponds to the letter of the answer you have chosen.
DIRECTION TO ERIK’S HOUSE
Leave Interstate 25 at exit 7S. Follow that road (Elm Street) for two miles. After one mile, you will pass a small shopping center on your left. At the next set of traffic lights, turn right onto Maple Drive. Erik's house is the third house on your left. It's number 33, and it's white with green trim.
41. What is Erik's address?
42. Which is closest to Erik's house?
Date: May 16, 1998
To: Megan Fallerman
From: Steven Roberts
Subject: Staff Meeting
Please be prepared to give your presentation on the monthly sales figures at our upcoming staff meeting. In addition to the accurate accounting of expenditures for the monthly sales, be ready to discuss possible reasons for fluctuations as well as possible trends in future customer spending. Thank you.
43. The main focus of the presentation will be ______.
44. Who will give the presentation?
Spend ten romantic days enjoying the lush countryside of southern England. The counties of Devon, Dorset, Hampshire, and Essex invite you to enjoy their castles and coastline, their charming bed and breakfast inns, their museums and their cathedrals. Spend lazy days watching the clouds drift by or spend active days hiking the glorious hills. These fields were home to Thomas Hardy, and the ports launched ships that shaped world history. Bed and breakfasts abound, ranging from quiet farmhouses to lofty castles. Our tour begins August 15. Call or fax us today for more information 1-800-222-XXXX. Enrollment is limited, please call soon.
45. Which of the following counties is not included in the tour?
46. How many people can go on this tour?
SECTION 3:LISTENING SKILL
THE B&B TOUR
LISTEN TO STATEMENTS. Decide which of the two words appears in spoken statement and mark the appropriate answer, a or b. set a.
LISTEN TO SPOKEN STATEMENTS. Decide which of the four answer choices a, b, c, d has the same meaning as the statement.
Listen to conversations and the question about them. Decide which of the four answers choices a, b, c, d is the best answer to question. Then mark appropriate answer.